4 Steps to Take If Your Ex is Not Paying Child Support

Child Support Attorney Hinsdale IL.jpgOften times, many parents rely on child support payments to help purchase much-needed things for their children, like clothes, shoes and other necessities. In Illinois, the parent who the child spends the majority of time with is considered the “custodial” parent. This parent may ask for child support to help cover costs for the child.

When a parent is ordered by an Illinois court to pay child support, he or she has been determined that they are financially able to pay, so they are expected to contribute to the child’s expenses. If they have not established that they are not able to pay the ordered about of child support and they do not pay, they could face serious consequences, causing you much financial stress and worry.

However, there are steps you can take if your ex has not paid their portion of support. Here are a few suggestions you can follow if you are in this predicament:

1. Have a Conversation With Your Ex

The first thing you should do is talk with your ex. Even if you and your ex are not on the greatest of terms, it may be possible set aside your differences for the sake of the support of your child. If your ex is not making payments, try to find out why. If he or she cannot afford to make the full payment, suggest that your ex petition the court to have the payment reduced.

2. Do Not Rely on Support Payments

You should not create your budget to rely on child support payments. If you know that your ex is not reliable, leave the child support payments out of your budget. That way, if you do not receive the payments, you are not hurting too much. When you do receive the payments, let them build up so you have some savings if your spouse falls behind.

3. Contact the Illinois Division of Child Support Services

If you have continuously not received child support payments, you should consider contacting the Illinois Division of Child Support Services (DCSS). The DCSS can help you collect child support payments from an existing order and collect past due child support payments. If your ex has not paid child support payments, the DCSS will impose income withholding on his or her paychecks directly through an employer.

DCSS can also intercept state and federal income tax returns, seize bank accounts, deny or revoke U.S. passports, submit to credit reporting services, submit to professional licensing agencies to have their license revoked or suspended and submit to the Illinois Secretary of State’s Office to suspend or revoke his or her driver’s license.

4. Discuss Your Options With a DuPage County Child Support Attorney

When your children are not receiving the support payments that they deserve, it can put a financial strain on you, which also can negatively affect your child. Both parents are required by law to provide financial support for their children. If your ex is trying to skirt the law by not making child support payments, you should get in touch with a trusted Hinsdale, IL child support lawyer. Contact the Law Office of Martoccio & Martoccio today by calling 630-920-8855.





Recent Blog Posts



Free Initial Consultations

phone 630-920-8855
address15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521
phone 331-588-6611
address21 North 4th Street, Geneva, IL 60134
Our firm handles family law and personal injury matters for clients in Chicago and throughout the western suburbs including DuPage County, Will County, Kane County, Cook County and the cities of Aurora, Bloomingdale, Bolingbrook, Burr Ridge, Carol Stream, Darien, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Joliet, Kendall County, Lombard, Naperville, Oak Park, Oak Brook, Oakbrook Terrace, Clarendon Hills, Oswego, Park Ridge, Roselle, St. Charles, Geneva, Villa Park, Warrenville, Wheaton, Western Springs, LaGrange, Winfield, Woodridge and Yorkville.

© 2020 Law Office of Martoccio & Martoccio 15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521 630-920-8855

OVC Lawyer Marketing

Share Your Experience