Can I Change My Child Support Payments?

child support IMAGEChild support orders in Illinois are generated using a calculator. Once the amount is determined, it’s listed in a current child support order. There are cases where the amount of child support can be altered, but it’s recommended that you walk through the procedure with your attorney first. This can be helpful for ensuring that you understand the process as well as making you feel confident and prepared to ask for the change.

A child support order alteration can be completed when there has been a major change since the last child support order. Make sure you are clear about what is considered a “major change” before you proceed with your request.

Remember that the other parent can also request changes in child support in the form of an increase if he or she is able to demonstrate major changes.

Examples of reasons that a child support order might be modified include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • A disability that requires greater financial commitment for the child’s care;
  • An increased need that the child is facing;
  • An increase or decrease in the non-custodial parent’s income;
  • A change in the living situation so that the child is no longer living with the custodial parent.

To request a change to the existing order, you will need to file an official petition to modify child support through the court. You must be prepared to provide documentation and evidence that a major change has occurred.

The final decision about whether your child support order will be changed rests with the court, which is why it’s important to speak with your attorney to be completely prepared prior to asking for this change. You must be able to prove that a big change has altered either your circumstances or the circumstances of the child. If you are ready to proceed with a petition to modify an existing order, contact an Illinois family attorney today.

Recent Blog Posts



Free Initial Consultations

phone 630-920-8855
address15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521
phone 331-588-6611
address21 North 4th Street, Geneva, IL 60134
Our firm handles family law and personal injury matters for clients in Chicago and throughout the western suburbs including DuPage County, Will County, Kane County, Cook County and the cities of Aurora, Bloomingdale, Bolingbrook, Burr Ridge, Carol Stream, Darien, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Joliet, Kendall County, Lombard, Naperville, Oak Park, Oak Brook, Oakbrook Terrace, Clarendon Hills, Oswego, Park Ridge, Roselle, St. Charles, Geneva, Villa Park, Warrenville, Wheaton, Western Springs, LaGrange, Winfield, Woodridge and Yorkville.

© 2020 Law Office of Martoccio & Martoccio 15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521 630-920-8855

OVC Lawyer Marketing

Share Your Experience


Notice: Undefined variable: body_class in /home/ocvsgclo/public_html/ on line 362