How Can Parenting Coordinators Help?

Illinios divorce attorney, Illinois family law attorney, DuPage County family law attorney Dealing with a child custody dispute is inherently stressful. The legal process can be frustrating, and facing issues with your child’s other parent can even be overwhelming. A parenting coordinator (PC) may be able to help you and the opposing party work through some of the custody issues, benefiting both parents and the child involved. A family lawyer can help you determine whether a PC is appropriate in your case.

Role of the Parenting Coordinator

Parenting coordinators are neutral third parties that help both parents figure out a visitation schedule. PCs can be especially helpful in complicated or contentious custody cases. A judge may order both parties to hire a PC in an attempt to resolve issues out of court. Generally, a judge will require the intervention of a PC if the parents have failed to cooperate with each other on custody and visitation issues.

A judge may also order a PC if mediation has been unsuccessful. Parents undergoing a custody dispute often utilize mediation, a legal process assisted by a neutral third party. During mediation, both parties (usually with their attorneys) will work through disputed issues with the guidance of the mediator. If mediation did not successfully resolve custody issues, a PC may still be able to help.

Like a mediator, a PC is a neutral third party that works with the parents to create a parenting schedule and coordinate other tricky custody problems. Also similar to a mediator, a PC works toward solutions that are in the best interests of the child involved. Unlike a mediator, a PC can make recommendations to the court regarding custody decisions. Essentially, a PC’s overall goal is to resolve custody problems while simultaneously reducing parental conflict. Decreasing tension and conflict helps both parties co-parent better and more consistently. Moreover, less conflict greatly benefits the child transition through the custody changes.

Call Experienced DuPage Custody Lawyers Now

Often, a PC is a professional who has experience working with children and families. Your PC may be a social worker, child therapist, or another attorney. Your custody attorney can help you select a PC if the court has not assigned one to your case. At the Law Office of Martoccio & Martoccio, we routinely work with professionals who can help you and your child through tough custody problems. Our experienced DuPage County family law attorneys will work with you to ensure your child’s best interests. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation; same-day appointments are available.

Recent Blog Posts



Free Initial Consultations

phone 630-920-8855
address15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521
phone 331-588-6611
address21 North 4th Street, Geneva, IL 60134
Our firm handles family law and personal injury matters for clients in Chicago and throughout the western suburbs including DuPage County, Will County, Kane County, Cook County and the cities of Aurora, Bloomingdale, Bolingbrook, Burr Ridge, Carol Stream, Darien, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Joliet, Kendall County, Lombard, Naperville, Oak Park, Oak Brook, Oakbrook Terrace, Clarendon Hills, Oswego, Park Ridge, Roselle, St. Charles, Geneva, Villa Park, Warrenville, Wheaton, Western Springs, LaGrange, Winfield, Woodridge and Yorkville.

© 2020 Law Office of Martoccio & Martoccio 15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521 630-920-8855

OVC Lawyer Marketing

Share Your Experience