Dr. Phil’s Tips for Living After a Divorce
Let’s face it: divorce is ugly, tiring, and sad. Growing apart from someone you thought you’d spend the rest of your life with can be overwhelming—especially in the first few months after the divorce occurs. Luckily, Dr. Phil has come up with a few words of wisdom, both to deal with the grief after the divorce, and how to start living your life to the fullest.
How to Let Go and Move On:
- Realize life will continue: As hard as it is to understand right now, eventually you’ll be able to look back on both the marriage and divorce as just another event in your life.
- Find out what you really want: If you’re fighting your spouse against the divorce, you need to ask yourself why. Do you really still love him or her and believe things can work out—or are you just simply afraid of being alone?
- Change your attitude: Don’t look at this as the end of everything. Don’t sit in your bed wondering about steps you could’ve taken to change the outcome. What’s done is done, and you’ll still have a worthwhile life as long as you have a positive attitude.
- If you have kids: Make sure you talk to them, and stay strong for them—be a good role model. Also help them understand how the divorce affects their time with your ex-husband or wife.
- Ask for support: You have wonderful friends and loving family. Talk to them.
- Find out who you are: Use some of your time to discover your passions and interests. Do something selfish once in a while.
- Finally, learn from the past: Remember what you liked and disliked about your first marriage. Once you enter a new relationship, this can help you make sure you achieve the happiness you deserve.
Divorce is a tough part of everyone’s life, but fortunately our attorneys can help you to try and get the best possible outcome. Contact our DuPage County firm today to learn more.