Paternity is the legal establishment of fatherhood, one which can be biological, but a blood relation is not necessary. Establishing paternity is a legal process of recording a legally bound relationship between a father and a child. There are several advantages to creating such a link, from developing a connection to obtaining child support. Find out how establishing paternity can benefit you.
A Father’s Perspective
Whether you are related by blood or by love, there are many benefits to creating a legal tie between father and child. The process enables a father to have parental rights over the child or children in question. Paternity offers benefits to both the father and the child, including:
- The development of a father-child relationship;
- Request parenting time or visitation;
- Child entitlement to health insurance, social security, support, pensions and veterans’ benefits;
- Travel rights;
- Changing the child’s last name;
- Influence over life decisions;
- Inheritance options;
- Access to any medical background; and
- A sense of identity and belonging.
A Mother’s Point-of-View
Sometimes, a mother needs to establish paternity between the potential father and child, even when a father is unwilling to cooperate. To do so, a mother must go through the process of successfully proving that the man is the biological father of the child. A mother may wish to do so for the following reasons:...