Steps You Should Take to Receive Workers’ Comp after a Work Injury

Illinois injury lawyerThe Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act provides protection to employees by ensuring they are compensated for injuries which occurred on the job or diseases which were contracted while working. However, the process of filing a worker’s compensation claim can be complicated and confusing, and employees are often unsure of their rights.

If you have been injured on the job, you should take the following steps to make sure you receive the compensation that will help you recover:

  1. See a doctor - You should receive immediate first aid when you have been injured, and you should then seek medical attention as soon as possible. Let the doctor know that this was a work-related injury, which will allow them to seek payment from your employer and their workers’ compensation insurance carrier. Follow the doctor’s orders and make an effort to recover from your injuries and return to work, if possible.

  1. Report the injury - After receiving an injury at work, you should notify your employer as soon as possible, but no later than 45 days after the injury occurred. It is a good idea to submit this notice in writing, taking note of the date, time, location, and circumstances of the injury. Following the notice of the injury, your employer will make a report to the Workers’ Compensation Commission and make arrangements with their insurance carrier to pay for medical treatment. If you are unable to work for more than three days because of your injury, your employer must begin making Temporary Total Disability (TTD) payments or provide written notice for why these payments are being denied.

  1. File a claim - If your employer or their insurer refuses to fully pay workers’ comp benefits, you can file a claim with the Workers’ Compensation Commission. A claim must be filed within three years of when the injury occurred, or within two years of the last payment of workers’ comp benefits.

  1. Contact an attorney - While you can file a claim on your own, it is advisable to hire an attorney who can help you navigate the process of filing a claim and receiving the benefits you deserve. It is illegal for employers to fire, discipline, or discriminate against any employee for filing a workers’ comp claim, and your attorney can make sure your rights are being protected as you work through the process of resolving your disputed claim.

An Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer on Your Side

If you have been injured or contracted a disease while working, the knowledgeable, compassionate attorneys at Martoccio & Martoccio can advocate for your rights throughout the workers’ comp process and help you receive the compensation you need to survive this difficult time. Contact a Hinsdale workers’ compensation lawyer at 630-920-8855 to schedule a free consultation.


Recent Blog Posts



Free Initial Consultations

phone 630-920-8855
address15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521
phone 331-588-6611
address21 North 4th Street, Geneva, IL 60134
Our firm handles family law and personal injury matters for clients in Chicago and throughout the western suburbs including DuPage County, Will County, Kane County, Cook County and the cities of Aurora, Bloomingdale, Bolingbrook, Burr Ridge, Carol Stream, Darien, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Joliet, Kendall County, Lombard, Naperville, Oak Park, Oak Brook, Oakbrook Terrace, Clarendon Hills, Oswego, Park Ridge, Roselle, St. Charles, Geneva, Villa Park, Warrenville, Wheaton, Western Springs, LaGrange, Winfield, Woodridge and Yorkville.

© 2020 Law Office of Martoccio & Martoccio 15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521 630-920-8855

OVC Lawyer Marketing

Share Your Experience