What Child Support Could Parents Owe After Divorce?

IL divorce lawyerParents are expected to provide financial support to their minor children, even in the event that they get a divorce. Child support is often a contentious issue in divorce cases. It is typically paid by the non-custodial parent that has lost time they could have spent with their children. Being asked to make payments on top of that lost time causes some parents to feel upset and frustrated. One of the first questions they will ask is how much child support they will have to pay. While no one can determine an exact amount without reviewing the facts of the case, there are some helpful guidelines to follow.

The Income Shares Model in Illinois

When determining the amount of child support a parent will have to pay once a divorce is final, Illinois uses an income shares model. The model uses a table that outlines the percentage of income that was spent on the child when the parents lived together. If a child stays a minimum of 146 nights at the non-custodial parent’s house, that parent will have to pay 1.5 times more than basic child support obligations.

When determining the amount of child support a parent must pay, the paying parent’s net income is first calculated. A parent’s net income is the earnings they take home after taxes, other deductions, and applicable adjustments have been made. This is the first step in determining how much child support a parent is responsible for paying.

Child support is typically paid in monthly payments. The support is intended to help custodial parents pay for basic needs for the child, such as housing, medical care, clothing, and food.

When Does Child Support End?

In Illinois, parents are expected to provide for their children until they are no longer a minor. A child that has graduated high school and has turned 18 years of age is not considered a minor. When a child has turned 18 but has not graduated from high school, child support will end when the child turns 19. In some cases, a judge may order a parent to continue paying support when the child pursues post-secondary education. This support can help pay for tuition, transportation expenses, and room and board.

There are other times when child support might end. For example, if a child gets married, the parent may no longer be liable for paying support. However, no one should ever stop making child support payments on their own. To do so is violating a court order, which has serious consequences. A family lawyer can advise on the proper procedures for terminating a child support order.

Our Illinois Family Lawyers Can Advise on Your Child Support Case

If you are going through a divorce or need a child support order modified or terminated, call our skilled Hinsdale family lawyers today. At the Law Office of Martoccio & Martoccio, our attorneys can advise on how much child support you may be liable for paying, and when you can modify or terminate the agreement. Call us at 630-920-8855 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.




Contact Us


Practice Areas

Free Initial Consultations

phone 630-920-8855
address15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521
phone 331-588-6611
address21 North 4th Street, Geneva, IL 60134
Our firm handles family law and personal injury matters for clients in Chicago and throughout the western suburbs including DuPage County, Will County, Kane County, Cook County and the cities of Aurora, Bloomingdale, Bolingbrook, Burr Ridge, Carol Stream, Darien, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Joliet, Kendall County, Lombard, Naperville, Oak Park, Oak Brook, Oakbrook Terrace, Clarendon Hills, Oswego, Park Ridge, Roselle, St. Charles, Geneva, Villa Park, Warrenville, Wheaton, Western Springs, LaGrange, Winfield, Woodridge and Yorkville.

© 2021 Law Office of Martoccio & Martoccio 15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521 630-920-8855

OVC Lawyer Marketing

Share Your Experience