John F. Martoccio
Licensed to practice law under the Illinois State Bar since 1973, and the DuPage County Bar since 2003, Attorney John F. Martoccio is now a managing partner at Martoccio and Martoccio in DuPage County, Illinois. The law firm focuses on providing high quality legal advice from a team of caring family law and personal injury lawyers who treat their clients with respect.
John Martoccio has a strong legal background, and has been rooted in Illinois since birth. After graduating from Maine Township High School in Des Plaines, Illinois, He went on to study at Lake Forest College, and graduated with high honors and a B.A. in political science from Northeastern Illinois University in Chicago in 1970.
He continued at the John Marshall Law School in Chicago, where he graduated Magna cum laude with a J.D. in 1973. During law school, John was a member of Tau Epsilon Rho Law fraternity, as well as making it on the Dean’s List all three years.
After graduation, he was admitted to the Illinois State Bar, and began practicing law at Schiller & Schiller from 1975-1976, before becoming a partner at Martoccio and Martoccio.
He was recently named in an article in the Illinois Trial Court Divorce Digest. He represented a stay at home mother of two who was married in 2005 in her divorce. She had no assets and spoke little English, while her husband earned approximately $109,000 per year and owned a small business. Before they married, the two had signed an ante-nuptial agreement, and both had legal representation present at the time. It was ruled that the ante-nuptial agreement was valid and enforceable, and the wife filed a petition for contribution to the attorney’s fees and costs. The judge ruled that the husband was not responsible for her fees; however, after appeals and the work of the attorneys at Martoccio and Martoccio, the ruling was made in her favor.
Read articles by John Martoccio on our family law and personal injury blogs.
Sketches of attorney John F. Martoccio in court, In re Marriage of Golub.
- Northeastern Illinois University, Chicago, IL
- Graduated 1970, B.A. in Political Science
- John Marshall Law School, Chicago, IL
- Graduated 1973, J.D., Magna cum laude with high honors
- John Marshall Law Review, 1972 - 1973
- Adjunct faculty, John Marshall Law School, in case analysis 1974 - 1975
- Law Clerk to Judge L. Sheldon Brown, Chancery Division of Circuit Court of Cook County, 1974 - 1975
- Illinois State Bar Association, since 1973
- U.S. Court of Appeals Northern District of Illinois, 1976
- DuPage County Bar Association, 2003
- 1975-1976- Private practice at Schiller & Schiller
Civic and Honorary Activities:
- Pro bono counselor to Des Plaines, Illinois Firemens Union
- Excella Press prize, Illinois pleading
- American Jurisprudence prize, pleading
- Dean’s List, John Marshall Law School, 1971 - 1973
- Order of John Marshall
- Tau Epsilon Rho Law Fraternity
- John Marshall Law Review staff, 1972 - 1973
- John Marshall Journal of Practice and Procedure I, Re: Kastigar v. United States: Compulsory Witness Immunity and the Fifth Amendment
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, Vol. 121, No. 5 Family Law: Is an Award of Attorney’s Fees in a Judgment for Divorce Dischargeable in Bankruptcy?
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member, 1973 - Present
- DuPage County Bar Association, Member, 2003 - Present
- Jay Ricke, Branch 825 National Association of Letter Carriers
- Larry Johnson, Likada Farms, St. Charles, IL
John Martoccio has extensive Appellate practice experience (over 40 appeals) in the Appellate Courts of Illinois, United States Court of Appeals, and Illinois Supreme Court. His most recent appeals include the following:
In re Marriage of Gibbs, 268 Ill. App. 3d 962, 972-73, 645 N.E.2d 507 (1994).
In re the Marriage of Campanelli (2012) Trial Court, the Honorable Judge Grace Dickler presiding. Current Chief Judge of Divorce Division of Cook County)
In Re the Marriage of Vigilante, 163 Ill.2d. 591, 657 N.E.2d641 (Ill SC 1995)
In re the Marriage of Nars, 302 Ill.App. 3d 1097, 746 N.E.2d 913 (2nd Dist. 1999)
In re Kecler, 156, Ill.App 3d 513, 509 N.E.2nd, 142 (2nd Dist. 1987)
In re Cornish, 529 F.2d 1363, U.S. App. Lexis 12873 (7th Cir. 1976)
In Re Marriage of Siegel, 84 Ill.2d 212: 417 N.E. 2d 1312: 1981 Ill. Lexis 246; 49 Ill. Dec. 289 (Ill. SC. 1981)
In re Marriage of Adler, 271 Ill. App. 3d 469; 648 N.E.2d 953; 1995 Ill. App. Lexis 182; 208 Ill. Dec 31 (1st Dist. 1995).
In re Marriage of Stenson, 45 Ill. App. 3d 249; 359 N.E.2d 787; 1977 Ill. App. Lexis 2069; 3 Ill. Dec. 928, (1st. Dist. 1977).
In Re The Marriage of Donnellan, 414 N.E. 2d 167, 90 Ill.App.3d 1032 (1st Dist. 1979)
In Re The Marriage of LaMarca, 78 Ill.App.3d 26, 397 N.E.2d 31 (1st Dist. 1979)
People ex rel. Bukovic v. Smith, 98 Ill.App3d 144 (1st Dist. 1981)
In Re Marriage of Flatow, 102 Ill.App.3d 859 (1st Dist. 1981)
Marks v. L. C. J. Construction Co, 89 Ill.App.3d 418 (1st Dist. 1980)
In Re Marriage of Jacobson, 89 Ill.App.3d 273 (1st Dist. 1980)
In Re Marriage of Bower, 87 Ill.App.3d 327 (1st Dist. 1980)
Stenson v. Stenson, 45 Ill.App.3d 249 (1st Dist. 1977)
Broday b. Broday, 43 Ill.App.3d 628 (1st Dist. 1977)
Olson v. Department of Registration & Education, 63 Ill. App.3d 166; 379 N.E.2d 802; 1978 Ill. App. Lexis 3017; 19 Ill. Dec 930, (1st Dist. 1977).
Carr v. City of Des Plaines, Ill. App.3d 230; 384 N.E.2d 820; Ill. App. Lexis 3802; 23 Ill. Dec. 913, (1st Dist. 1978).
Madda v. Reliance Ins. Co., 53 Ill. App. 3d 67; 368 N.E.2d 580; 1977 Ill. App. Lexis 3424; 11 Ill. Dec. 29, (1st Dist. 1978).
National Tea Co. v. 4600 Club, Inc., 33 Ill. App.3d 1000; 399 N.E.2d 515; 1975 Ill. App. Lexis 3284, (1st Dist. 1977).
Electrical Wholesalers v. Silverstein, 47 Ill.App.3d 689 (1st Dist. 1977).
People v. Doto, 53 Ill.App.3d 62, (1st Dist. 1977).
People v. Spellman, 58 Ill.App.3d 648, 374 N.E.2d 648, (1st Dist. 1978).
People v. Rode, 57 Ill.App.3d 645, 373 N.E.2d 605, (1st Dist. 1978)
People v Speer, 52 Ill.App.3d 203 (1st Dist. 1977)
People v. Glass, 41 Ill.App.3d 43 (1st Dist. 1976)
Sonaty v. Youngstown Sheet & Tube, 79 USCA 2276 (1981)
People of State of Illinois Ex Rel. Bukovic v. Smith, 98 Ill.App.3d 144 (1981)
Borg v. Borg, 32 Ill.App.3d 1075 (1975)
Electrical Wholesalers v. Silverstein, 47 Ill.App.3d 689 (1977)
Stenston v. Stenson, 45 Ill.App.3d 429 (1977)
Madda v. Reliance Insurance, 53 Ill.App.3d 67 (1977)