John F. Martoccio
Licensed to practice law under the Illinois State Bar since 1973, and the DuPage County Bar since 2003, Attorney John F. Martoccio is now a managing partner at Martoccio & Martoccio in DuPage County, Illinois. The law firm focuses on providing high quality legal advice from a team of caring family law and personal injury lawyers who treat their clients with respect.
John Martoccio has been rooted in Illinois since birth. Frank Martoccio and Julia Martoccio, his parents, were practicing attorneys in Chicago, Illinois and encouraged their son John Martoccio to have a strong legal background.
Lucy Palermo, John’s grandmother was one of the first Italian American Woman to hold public office in the United States. She was a Cook County Commissioner in 1930, and was active in the Women’s Movement and in services to the sick and injured. She knew Jane Adams of Hull House. She also entertained Eleanor Roosevelt at the Columbian Exposition.
After graduating from Maine Township High School in Des Plaines, Illinois, John Martoccio went on to study at Lake Forest College, and graduated with high honors and a B.A. in political science from Northeastern Illinois University in Chicago in 1970.
He continued at the John Marshall Law School in Chicago, where he graduated Magna cum laude with a J.D. in 1973. During law school, John was a member of Tau Epsilon Rho Law fraternity, as well as making it on the Dean’s List all three years.
After graduation, he was admitted to the Illinois State Bar, and began practicing law at Schiller & Schiller from 1975-1976, before becoming a partner at Martoccio & Martoccio. He taught Law School as Adjunct faculty at John Marshall Law School.
John has handled divorce and family law cases in trial courts throughout Cook, DuPage, Kane, Kendall and Will Courts of Illinois. He is also an accomplished Illinois Appellate Court Lawyer. Mr. Martoccio is a frequent lecture on family law issues in Illinois and has written extensively on the subject of divorce, families and law.
Read articles by John Martoccio on our family law and personal injury blogs.
Sketches of attorney John F. Martoccio in court, In re Marriage of Golub.
- Northeastern Illinois University, Chicago, IL
- Graduated 1970, B.A. in Political Science
- John Marshall Law School, Chicago, IL
- Graduated 1973, J.D., Magna cum laude with high honors
- John Marshall Law Review, 1972 - 1973
- Author: Kastigar: Compulsory Witness Immunity and the Fifth Amendment: John Marshall Journal of Practice and Procedure
- Adjunct faculty, John Marshall Law School, in case analysis 1974 - 1975
- Law Clerk to Judge L. Sheldon Brown, Chancery Division of Circuit Court of Cook County, 1974 - 1975
- Illinois State Bar Association, since 1973
- U.S. Court of Appeals Northern District of Illinois, 1976
- DuPage County Bar Association, 2003
- Private practice at Schiller & Schiller, 1975-1976
Civic and Honorary Activities:
- Pro bono counselor to Des Plaines, Illinois Firemens Union
- Excella Press prize, Illinois pleading
- American Jurisprudence prize, pleading
- Dean’s List, John Marshall Law School, 1971 - 1973
- Order of John Marshall
- Tau Epsilon Rho Law Fraternity
Honors and Awards:
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, Client Satisfaction Award, 2016
- Northwest Suburban Bar Association, Valuable Service Award (CLE Program), 1990
- John Marshall Law Review staff, 1972 - 1973
- John Marshall Journal of Practice and Procedure I, Re: Kastigar v. United States: Compulsory Witness Immunity and the Fifth Amendment
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, Vol. 121, No. 5 Family Law: Is an Award of Attorney’s Fees in a Judgment for Divorce Dischargeable in Bankruptcy?
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member, 1973 - Present
- DuPage County Bar Association, Member, 2003 - Present
- Jay Ricke, Branch 825 National Association of Letter Carriers
- Larry Johnson, Likada Farms, St. Charles, IL
John Martoccio has extensive Trial Court experience in Cook County, DuPage County, will County and throughout Illinois and has had a great deal of Appellate practice experience (over 40 appeals) in the Appellate Courts of Illinois, United States Court of Appeals, and Illinois Supreme Court. His most appeals include the following:
- In re Marriage of Gibbs, 268 Ill. App. 3d 962, 972-73, 645 N.E.2d 507
- In Re Marriage of Siegel, 84 Ill.2d 212, 417 N.E. 2d 1312, 1981 Ill. Lexis 246; 49 Ill. Dec. 289 (Ill. Supreme Court)
- In re Cornish, 529 F.2d 1363, U.S. App. Lexis 12873 (7th Circuit Court of Appeals of the United States)
In re the Marriage of Campanelli (2012) Trial Court, the Honorable Judge Grace Dickler presiding. Current Chief Judge of Divorce Division of Cook County)
- Hepner v. Hepner, 469 N.E.2d 780, Court of Appeals of Indiana, Third District, (Ind. Ct. App.
- In re the Marriage of Vigilante, 163 Ill.2d. 591, 657 N.E.2d 641 (Ill SC)
- In re the Marriage of Nars, 302 Ill.App. 3d 1097, 746 N.E.2d 913 (2nd Dist.).
- In re the Marriage of Pace, 278 Ill. App 3d 932, 664 N.E. 2d 932 (1st Dist.).
Keeler v. Keeler, 156 Ill. App. 3d 513, 509 N.E.2d 142, 1987 Ill. App. LEXIS 2591, 108 Ill. Dec. 716 (Ill. App. Ct. 2d Dist. 1987)
- In re Marriage of Adler, 271 Ill. App. 3d 469; 648 N.E.2d 953; 1995 Ill. App. Lexis 182; 208 Ill. Dec 31 (1st Dist.).
- In re Marriage of Stenson, 45 Ill. App. 3d 249; 359 N.E.2d 787; 1977 Ill. App. Lexis 2069; 3 Ill. Dec. 928, (1st. Dist.).
- In Re The Marriage of Donnellan, 414 N.E. 2d 167, 90 Ill.App.3d 1032 (1st Dist.)
- In re Marriage of LaMarca, 78 Ill.App.3d 26, 397 N.E.2d 31, 78 Ill.App.3d 26, 397 N.E.2d 31 (1st Dist.)
- People ex rel. Bukovic v. Smith, 98 Ill.App3d 144 (1st Dist.)
- In Re Marriage of Flatow, 102 Ill.App.3d 859 (1st Dist.)
- Marks v. L. C. J. Construction Co, 89 Ill.App.3d 418 (1st Dist.)
- In Re Marriage of Jacobson, 89 Ill.App.3d 273 (1st Dist.)
- In Re Marriage of Bower, 87 Ill.App.3d 32
- Stenson v. Stenson, 45 Ill.App.3d 249 (1st Dist.)
- Broday v. Broday, 43 Ill.App.3d 628 (1st Dist.)
- Olson v. Department of Registration & Education, 63 Ill. App.3d 166; 379 N.E.2d 802; 1978 Ill. App. Lexis 3017; 19 Ill. Dec 930, (1st Dist. 1977).
- Carr v. City of Des Plaines, Ill. App.3d 230; 384 N.E.2d 820; Ill. App. Lexis 3802; 23 Ill. Dec. 913, (1st Dist.).
- Madda v. Reliance Ins. Co., 53 Ill. App. 3d 67; 368 N.E.2d 580; 1977 Ill. App. Lexis 3424; 11 Ill. Dec. 29, (1st Dist. 1978).
- National Tea Co. v. 4600 Club, Inc., 33 Ill. App.3d 1000; 399 N.E.2d 515; 1975 Ill. App. Lexis 3284, (1st Dist. 1977).
- Electrical Wholesalers v. Silverstein, 47 Ill.App.3d 689 (1st Dist. 1977).
- People v. Doto, 53 Ill.App.3d 62, (1st Dist. 1977).
- People v. Spellman, 58 Ill.App.3d 648, 374 N.E.2d 648, (1st Dist. 1978).
- People v. Rode, 57 Ill.App.3d 645, 373 N.E.2d 605, (1st Dist. 1978)
- People v Speer, 52 Ill.App.3d 203 (1st Dist.)
- People v. Glass, 41 Ill.App.3d 43 (1st Dist.)
- Sonaty v. Youngstown Sheet & Tube, 631 F2d 767, 79 USCA 2276
- People of State of Illinois Ex Rel. Bukovic v. Smith, 98 Ill.App.3d 144
- Borg v. Borg, 32 Ill.App.3d 1075 (1st Dist.)
- Electrical Wholesalers v. Silverstein, 47 Ill.App.3d 689 (1st Dist.)
- Stenston v. Stenson, 45 Ill.App.3d 429 (1st Dist.)
- Madda v. Reliance Insurance, 53 Ill.App.3d 67(1st Dist.)
- Martoccio v. Salem, 2010 Ill. App. LEXIS 4765, 403 Ill. App. 3d 1108, 993 N.E.2d 150, 373 Ill. Dec. 150, 2010 WL 9547596 (Ill. App. Ct. 2d Dist. 2010)
- Manella v. First Nat'l Bank & Trust Co., 173 Ill. App. 3d 436, 526 N.E.2d 368, 1988 Ill. App. LEXIS 469, 122 Ill. Dec. 109 (Ill. App. Ct. 2d Dist. 1988)
Martoccio and Martoccio
- LaMantia v State of Illinois, 20 Ill. Ct. Cl. 113, 1950 Ill. Ct. Cl. LEXIS 78 (Ill. Ct. Cl.)
- Lubertozzi v. State of Illinois, 18 Ill. Ct. Cl. 152, 1949 Ill. Ct. Cl. LEXIS 48 (Ill. Ct. Cl.)
- Bensenville v. Illinois Commerce Com., 29 Ill. 2d 601, 195 N.E.2d 169, 1963 Ill. LEXIS 463 (Ill. 1963)
- Exchange Nat'l Bank v. Des Plaines, 32 Ill. App. 3d 722, 336 N.E.2d 8, 1975 Ill. App. LEXIS 3041 (Ill. App. Ct. 1st Dist. 1975)