Changing Your Name After an Illinois Divorce

Illinois divorce lawyerAfter a wedding, many spouses decide to take the last name of their significant other. This brings them closer to their partner and shows their commitment. When couples divorce, the spouse who took on a married last name may keep their name or go back to their maiden name. The good news is they are not legally required to change to their maiden name once their divorce is finalized.

Reasons Divorced Individuals Keep Their Married Name

If you are going through a divorce, there are several reasons you may wish to keep your married name. You may want to share a last name with your children or keep your married name because you have built a career and reputation around it. Additionally, you may feel comfortable with your married name because it has become part of who you are.

Your friends, co-workers, and community know you as an individual rather than your husband’s wife and you do not see the point of going back to your maiden name. Regardless of what your reason for keeping your married name is, you do not need to tell anyone about it or prove it to be true. You can keep your married name without any issues.

What Is a Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage?

In the Judgement for Dissolution of Marriage which is a divorce decree, the spouse who took on a married name can be given the chance to easily go back to their maiden name. In most cases, the ability to resume the use of the maiden name is included at your request if you have stated that you wish to go back to your maiden name. This legally authorizes your name change.

If your name change is not authorized under the Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage, you must go through a long, expensive process. Therefore, if you would like to go back to your maiden name, it’s wise to consult an experienced attorney.

You should understand that if you resume your maiden name, you must change it on all of your official documents as soon as possible. Be sure to apply for a new social security card, driver’s license, and passport.

Contact an Experienced DuPage County Divorce Attorney

If you are going through a divorce and have questions about changing your last name, you should contact our Hinsdale divorce attorneys. We can make the process easy and look forward to hearing from you. Call us at 630-920-8855 today.


Recent Blog Posts



Free Initial Consultations

phone 630-920-8855
address15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521
phone 331-588-6611
address21 North 4th Street, Geneva, IL 60134
Our firm handles family law and personal injury matters for clients in Chicago and throughout the western suburbs including DuPage County, Will County, Kane County, Cook County and the cities of Aurora, Bloomingdale, Bolingbrook, Burr Ridge, Carol Stream, Darien, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Joliet, Kendall County, Lombard, Naperville, Oak Park, Oak Brook, Oakbrook Terrace, Clarendon Hills, Oswego, Park Ridge, Roselle, St. Charles, Geneva, Villa Park, Warrenville, Wheaton, Western Springs, LaGrange, Winfield, Woodridge and Yorkville.

© 2020 Law Office of Martoccio & Martoccio 15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521 630-920-8855

OVC Lawyer Marketing

Share Your Experience