Child Support Modification Orders in Illinois

child custody, Illinois child support attorney, Illnois divorce lawyer, Child support is often a big part of divorce and custody cases. Disputes over child support are often particularly contentious because they involve both children and finances. These disputes can be resolved either through court orders or through out-of-court agreements. As circumstances change, however, sometimes child support orders or agreements need to be changed. If you need your child support order changed, or if your child’s other parent has asked for a change, it is in your best interest to contact an attorney in the area for help. A family law attorney can ensure that you are receiving the child support modification outcome most suited for your specific situation.

Calculating Child Support in Illinois

Child support is calculated by analyzing a number of different factors. The two main factors are each parent’s income and the amount of time each parent spends with the child. Generally, the parent with whom the child resides is the custodial parent. He or she will usually receive payments from the non-custodial parent to provide for the child’s well-being. In some cases, parents are able to agree on monthly custody payments through mediation and out-of-court settlements. If such an agreement cannot be reached, the family court judge will determine the amount of these child support payments. Furthermore, child support is also dependent upon the amount of children that the parents have; more specifically, child support payments will increase for each additional child.

What Does It Take to Modify?

As the years pass and the child grows up, circumstances for both the child and the parents change. A parent may lose his or her job, may relocate, may have other children, or may remarry. When major life circumstances change, it may be appropriate to change the child support obligation. Legally speaking, this is called “modifying” the child support order. In Illinois, child support orders can only be modified if the child’s needs significantly change, or if the non-custodial parent’s income significantly changes. Either parent can request a child support modification order. It is important to note that orders can be modified to either increase or decrease the support payments. A skilled and knowledgeable family lawyer can help you determine if your circumstances warrant a change in support.

Contact Experienced Child Support Lawyers Now

The dedicated Hinsdale family law attorneys at Martoccio & Martoccio have been helping clients throughout the DuPage County area for years. We are experienced lawyers who understand the complicated child support laws in Illinois. If you want a child support modification order, or want to challenge a petition to modify, call our firm today for an initial consultation. During the consultation, you will speak directly with a lawyer who can answer your questions while providing helpful legal guidance. Contact us now.

Recent Blog Posts



Free Initial Consultations

phone 630-920-8855
address15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521
phone 331-588-6611
address21 North 4th Street, Geneva, IL 60134
Our firm handles family law and personal injury matters for clients in Chicago and throughout the western suburbs including DuPage County, Will County, Kane County, Cook County and the cities of Aurora, Bloomingdale, Bolingbrook, Burr Ridge, Carol Stream, Darien, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Joliet, Kendall County, Lombard, Naperville, Oak Park, Oak Brook, Oakbrook Terrace, Clarendon Hills, Oswego, Park Ridge, Roselle, St. Charles, Geneva, Villa Park, Warrenville, Wheaton, Western Springs, LaGrange, Winfield, Woodridge and Yorkville.

© 2020 Law Office of Martoccio & Martoccio 15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521 630-920-8855

OVC Lawyer Marketing

Share Your Experience