Child Support Orders & High School Graduation: Will Your Support Decrease?

administrative order, child support order and emancipation, child support orders, DuPage county child support attorney, DuPage County divorce lawyer "Does my child support order automatically decrease if one of my two children turns 18 and graduates from high school?" In Illinois, child support must be paid until the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, which ever is later. However, the support does not have to be paid beyond the age of 19 if the child continues in high school and has not yet graduated.

  • 750 ILCS 5/510(g.) - When a child meets those conditions, the child is "emancipated" and you no longer have a duty to pay child support for that child.

So, if your child turns 18 and then graduates from high school, this becomes a basis for decreasing your child support payments. What determines whether your child support "automatically" decreases is the wording of the court order (or administrative order) from which you pay your child support. On the one hand, for example, if the order states that you pay $500 per month in child support, and you have two children, then the child support does not automatically decrease when one of of the children is emancipated. You must file a petition to reduce the child support, and ask the court (or administrative hearing officer) to decrease your support. On the other hand, for example, if your order states that you pay $250 per month, per child, in child support, then upon the emancipation of one child, your child support will automatically decrease to $250 a month for the other child. One guideline in which you should follow is to look carefully at your child support order before you agree to it. It is essential to understand how a child support order works in Illinois. The real lesson here is that divorce law is complicated and frequently counter intuitive. Your best bet is to hire a professional divorce lawyer. If you have questions or concerns regarding a child support order, contact a DuPage County divorce lawyer today. Our divorce lawyers at Martoccio & Martoccio are highly skilled and experienced in how to make the law work for you.

Recent Blog Posts



Free Initial Consultations

phone 630-920-8855
address15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521
phone 331-588-6611
address21 North 4th Street, Geneva, IL 60134
Our firm handles family law and personal injury matters for clients in Chicago and throughout the western suburbs including DuPage County, Will County, Kane County, Cook County and the cities of Aurora, Bloomingdale, Bolingbrook, Burr Ridge, Carol Stream, Darien, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Joliet, Kendall County, Lombard, Naperville, Oak Park, Oak Brook, Oakbrook Terrace, Clarendon Hills, Oswego, Park Ridge, Roselle, St. Charles, Geneva, Villa Park, Warrenville, Wheaton, Western Springs, LaGrange, Winfield, Woodridge and Yorkville.

© 2021 Law Office of Martoccio & Martoccio 15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521 630-920-8855

OVC Lawyer Marketing

Share Your Experience