Child Support Orders: Enforcing, Collecting and Penalizing

automatic withholding, child support obligation, child support order, delinquent child support, Hinsdale family law attorneys, unpaid child support, wage garnishmentsEnforcing a child support order is not always a simple process. Generally, if a non-custodial parent is not paying any required child support, the custodial spouse may go to court in an effort to enforce such payments.

There are a few conditions that usually need to be met in order for enforcement measures to work:

  1. The court must have in fact ordered the non-custodial parent to pay child support;

  2. The non-custodial parent must have failed to pay either a portion or all of the ordered child support;

  3. The non-custodial parent must have a steady source of income, which can be used to pay child support; and

  4. The parent trying to enforce the order must know the delinquent amount that is required to be paid.

How Do You Find Out How Much of Your Child Support is Delinquent?

The delinquent amount is the total amount of the unpaid child support. If you are uncertain as to the delinquent amount, the Illinois State Disbursement Unit can provide you with information. The Illinois State Department Unit is a payment processing center, which both receives and distributes payments of child support, and can provide a parent with a list of all child payments that have been made, are still owed, or are delinquent.

Methods of Collecting Child Support

Under Illinois law, there are both civil remedies that can be utilized, and criminal penalties that can be imposed, in order to enforce child support obligations.

As for civil remedies, a parent can file suit against a parent that is supposed to be paying child support. If the plaintiff parent wins, then the judgment ordered may provide the following:

  1. Interest must be paid on the all child support that is owed; and

  2. Wage garnishments or automatic withholding may be required.

As for criminal penalties, a parent becomes eligible to pursue criminal penalties if they have not received child support payments for more than six months or if the delinquent debt exceeds $5,000. Criminal penalties have more severe and long term effects as they can lead one to being charged with a misdemeanor or even a felony.

Automatic Withholding

One of the most effective ways a court can ensure that child support orders are paid is by requiring the non-custodial parent to pay such support directly from their check. In such instances, the custodial parent must serve the non-custodial parent's employer with a Notice to Withhold Income for Support. This notice specifically directs the non-custodial parent’s employer to take the child support payment out of the non-custodial parent’s paycheck, and requires them to forward the money directly to the Illinois State Disbursement Unit.

Contact an Illinois Attorney to Assist You

If you are trying to enforce an existing child support order, seek the assistance of experienced and respectable attorneys in the community. Schedule a free consultation with the experienced Hinsdale family law attorneys at Martoccio & Martoccio. Our attorneys are willing and able to discuss any legal matter surrounding your child support order.

Recent Blog Posts



Free Initial Consultations

phone 630-920-8855
address15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521
phone 331-588-6611
address21 North 4th Street, Geneva, IL 60134
Our firm handles family law and personal injury matters for clients in Chicago and throughout the western suburbs including DuPage County, Will County, Kane County, Cook County and the cities of Aurora, Bloomingdale, Bolingbrook, Burr Ridge, Carol Stream, Darien, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Joliet, Kendall County, Lombard, Naperville, Oak Park, Oak Brook, Oakbrook Terrace, Clarendon Hills, Oswego, Park Ridge, Roselle, St. Charles, Geneva, Villa Park, Warrenville, Wheaton, Western Springs, LaGrange, Winfield, Woodridge and Yorkville.

© 2020 Law Office of Martoccio & Martoccio 15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521 630-920-8855

OVC Lawyer Marketing

Share Your Experience