What to Do If the Police Are Not Putting Time Into Your Hit and Run Case

Illinois accident attorneyLeaving the scene of an accident is against the law in the state of Illinois. However, it is a common practice that drivers engage in because they are driving without insurance, are afraid of getting arrested for impaired driving, or do not have liability insurance coverage. If you are ever the victim of a hit-and-run accident, you should understand that the police play an important role in your case.

Gathering Information for Police

After a hit-and-run accident, you should gather as much information as possible to help the police. Some of this information includes license plate information, the make, color, and model of the car that fled the scene, and the description of the driver. You may not be able to gather all of this information so it’s imperative that you write down anything you can remember.

Contacting the Police

Once you’ve gathered information, you should contact the police immediately so that a police report can be filed. Be sure to request a copy of the police report as this may assist you and your attorney with your insurance claim.

The police report should include your personal and insurance information, your description of the accident, any witness information, whether or not there were any injuries, and what property damage was sustained.

Although the police report is known as the safest and most effective way to document the accident, the truth is that hit-and-run accidents are usually a low priority for police departments, especially if nobody was hurt or killed. For this reason, the police may not put time and effort into your hit-and-run case, making it imperative for you to gather as much information as you can and talk to witnesses on your own if possible.

How a Hinsdale Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer Can Help

If the police do not put time and effort into your hit-and-run accident, a Hinsdale hit-and-run accident lawyer can help. Even if the hit-and-run driver cannot be identified, they may be able to help you pay for damages through your own insurance company.

Since your insurance company would prefer for the hit-and-run driver’s insurance company to pay for any damages rather than themselves, they may not pay unless the hit-and-run driver has been found.

A DuPage County hit-and-run attorney can make sure your insurance company pays out your claim in a fair and timely fashion even if the hit-and-driver cannot be found. Contact our DuPage County car accident attorneys at 630-920-8855 today.



Recent Blog Posts



Free Initial Consultations

phone 630-920-8855
address15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521
phone 331-588-6611
address21 North 4th Street, Geneva, IL 60134
Our firm handles family law and personal injury matters for clients in Chicago and throughout the western suburbs including DuPage County, Will County, Kane County, Cook County and the cities of Aurora, Bloomingdale, Bolingbrook, Burr Ridge, Carol Stream, Darien, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Joliet, Kendall County, Lombard, Naperville, Oak Park, Oak Brook, Oakbrook Terrace, Clarendon Hills, Oswego, Park Ridge, Roselle, St. Charles, Geneva, Villa Park, Warrenville, Wheaton, Western Springs, LaGrange, Winfield, Woodridge and Yorkville.

© 2022 Law Office of Martoccio & Martoccio 15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521 630-920-8855

OVC Lawyer Marketing

Share Your Experience