Illinois Cell Phone Laws

It is important to know the laws of the road in your home state, but also the laws of any other state that you may travel to as well. Sometimes, however, it is hard to keep up on laws that are created after you have learned them a different way. That is most often the case for older drivers who took drivers’ education classes before cell phones were common or before cell phone had the capabilities that they now have.

Illinois’s cell phone laws for drivers include:

  1. Bus drivers cannot use cell phones at all, handheld or hands-free (Primary law)
  2. Novice drivers cannot use cell phones at all, handheld and hands-free (Primary law)
  3. NO driver is allowed to text (Primary law)
  4. NO driver can use a cell phone while in a school zone or in a highway construction zone

These laws were created to minimize the amount of crashes caused by distracted driving, which is a fairly recent phenomenon. The government of Illinois explained distracted driving and the dangers of it for all citizens to be aware and keep safe.

Distracted driving includes any activity in which the driver is engaged in that distracts him or her from driving, takes his or her eyes off the road or takes his or her hands off the wheel.

What many people do not realize or are not aware of is that even using a hands-free device is still very dangerous. By having a conversation with someone on the phone, even with your hands on the wheel, the driver will more easily miss visual and audio clues to help them avoid a crash.

Although many people assume that young drivers are the most at risk for being distracted on the roads, they are not the only ones. People under 20 are responsible for 16% of crashes, but that means the other 84% of crashes are caused by people over 20. The Illinois government website reported that over 800,000 vehicles are being driven by someone using a hand-held cell phone at any given time in daylight hours.

If you were unaware of the dangers of distracted driving or if you have been injured in a crash, contact a personal injury attorney for help now. Martoccio & Martoccio attorneys will help you fight for your injury in DuPage, Cook, Kane and Will County courts today.

Recent Blog Posts

Categories

Archives

Free Initial Consultations

phone 630-920-8855
address15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521
phone 331-588-6611
address21 North 4th Street, Geneva, IL 60134
Our firm handles family law and personal injury matters for clients in Chicago and throughout the western suburbs including DuPage County, Will County, Kane County, Cook County and the cities of Aurora, Bloomingdale, Bolingbrook, Burr Ridge, Carol Stream, Darien, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Joliet, Kendall County, Lombard, Naperville, Oak Park, Oak Brook, Oakbrook Terrace, Clarendon Hills, Oswego, Park Ridge, Roselle, St. Charles, Geneva, Villa Park, Warrenville, Wheaton, Western Springs, LaGrange, Winfield, Woodridge and Yorkville.

© 2019 Law Office of Martoccio & Martoccio 15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521 630-920-8855

OVC Lawyer Marketing

Share Your Experience

X