Tag Archives: child support enforcement

IL family lawyerMany custodial parents do not receive full child support payments, and thousands of others in Illinois receive no child support payments at all. In fact, only 59 percent of the total annual child support payments are received annually. As a custodial parent, you have a few resources at your disposal to ensure that the paying parent is held to his or her legal obligation. An experienced family law attorney can help answer any questions you may have.

The Illinois Division of Child Support Services

Once a paying parent gets behind on their payments, the Division of Child Support Services automatically serves the payor’s employer with the delinquent amount, according to the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services. This income withholding for support is deducted from the paying parent’s wages until the support is paid in full. However, this may not be enough to get the noncustodial parent to pay, especially if they are self-employed, paid under the table, or are unemployed. As such, the Division of Child Support Services can also:

  • Intercept state and federal income tax refunds
  • Intercept state payments including lottery winnings
  • Intercept gambling winnings
  • Place a lien on property
  • Seize bank accounts
  • Use private collection companies
  • Deny or revoke the paying parent’s passport
  • Submit to credit reporting agencies
  • Submit to licensing agencies to revoke or deny professional, recreational, or occupational licenses
  • Suspend their driver’s license through the Illinois Secretary of State; or
  • Request state or federal criminal prosecution; and
  • Submit the name and photo of the parent on the Department’s Delinquent Parents Website.

How Non-Paying Parents Delay Collections

Unfortunately, there are a variety of tools and methods that paying parents use to delay collection or consequences from being issued, such as revoked licenses. One of these is to simply request that the Division of Child Support Services (DCSS) review the delinquent account to ensure that the past child support order is correct. The DCSS is obligated to send a letter to the delinquent parent notifying them of the department’s intentions to use the previously mentioned garnishing or penalizing methods. As such, the DCSS cannot immediately begin garnishing wages or seizing bank accounts, and the noncustodial parent can delay even more by requesting that the DCSS check their records.

Continue reading

Child Support Attorney Hinsdale IL.jpgOften times, many parents rely on child support payments to help purchase much-needed things for their children, like clothes, shoes and other necessities. In Illinois, the parent who the child spends the majority of time with is considered the “custodial” parent. This parent may ask for child support to help cover costs for the child.

When a parent is ordered by an Illinois court to pay child support, he or she has been determined that they are financially able to pay, so they are expected to contribute to the child’s expenses. If they have not established that they are not able to pay the ordered about of child support and they do not pay, they could face serious consequences, causing you much financial stress and worry.

However, there are steps you can take if your ex has not paid their portion of support. Here are a few suggestions you can follow if you are in this predicament:

Continue reading

Illinois family lawyerIf you are going through a divorce and have children, child support is likely at the top of your mind. Since there are many misconceptions about this topic, we have compiled this list of common questions about child support in Illinois. Once you read through the answers to these questions, you’ll become more familiar with the basics of child support and how it may affect you.

1. Which parent is responsible for making child support payments?

Although the answer to this question varies from case to case, the parent who has the most parenting time with the children typically receives child support payments. If both parents have equal parenting time, they may not have the obligation to pay child support to one another.

Continue reading

deadbeat parents, Illinois family law attorney, Illinios child support attorney, Child support is a legally required payment made by a parent for the financial support of his or her child. Under Illinois law, both parents are required to provide financial support for the child’s well being. Usually, the non-custodial parent, the parent who does not live with the child, pays the custodial parent child support. Unfortunately, sometimes a parent disregards a court order and fails to pay child support. If your child’s other parent has ceased making support payments, an experienced family law attorney in DuPage County can advise you on your options.

Enforcing Child Support Orders

When a non-custodial parents fails to make their child support payments, the other parent can ask the court to enforce the support order. The custodial parent can formally petition the court to basically force payment from the non-custodial parent. This is different than filing for child support. You can only ask the court to force support payments after a judge has granted a child support order. According to the Illinois Attorney General, approximately $289 million in child support was collected by the state in 2013. Some of these payments were made after a court enforced a child support. Illinois courts have multiple ways to enforce these orders; one way is to garnish the non-custodial parent’s wages.

Continue reading

Recent Blog Posts



Free Initial Consultations

phone 630-920-8855
address15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521
phone 331-588-6611
address21 North 4th Street, Geneva, IL 60134
Our firm handles family law and personal injury matters for clients in Chicago and throughout the western suburbs including DuPage County, Will County, Kane County, Cook County and the cities of Aurora, Bloomingdale, Bolingbrook, Burr Ridge, Carol Stream, Darien, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Joliet, Kendall County, Lombard, Naperville, Oak Park, Oak Brook, Oakbrook Terrace, Clarendon Hills, Oswego, Park Ridge, Roselle, St. Charles, Geneva, Villa Park, Warrenville, Wheaton, Western Springs, LaGrange, Winfield, Woodridge and Yorkville.

© 2020 Law Office of Martoccio & Martoccio 15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521 630-920-8855

OVC Lawyer Marketing

Share Your Experience