Tag Archives: Judgement for Dissolution of Marriage

Illinois divorce lawyerAfter a wedding, many spouses decide to take the last name of their significant other. This brings them closer to their partner and shows their commitment. When couples divorce, the spouse who took on a married last name may keep their name or go back to their maiden name. The good news is they are not legally required to change to their maiden name once their divorce is finalized.

Reasons Divorced Individuals Keep Their Married Name

If you are going through a divorce, there are several reasons you may wish to keep your married name. You may want to share a last name with your children or keep your married name because you have built a career and reputation around it. Additionally, you may feel comfortable with your married name because it has become part of who you are.

Continue reading

William Shakespeare said, " What's in a name?" In a divorce the answer may be, "Make sure your divorce papers include your right to get your old name back."

In Illinois, if you are a woman you can resume your maiden or former name by you or your divorce lawyer requesting your change of name before the end of the case. This is done by including your old name in the final divorce papers called a "Judgement for Dissolution of Marriage" in Illinois. The judgment is signed and entered by the divorce judge in your divorce case. The judge has no choice and must allow you to take back your old name if it is your maiden or former name.

Then you or your divorce lawyer can obtain a certified copy of your "Judgement for Dissolution of Marriage" from the Clerk of the Circuit Court of the County in Illinois where you are divorced. This certified copy can then be used by you to change your name on other official records.

Continue reading

Recent Blog Posts



Free Initial Consultations

phone 630-920-8855
address15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521
phone 331-588-6611
address21 North 4th Street, Geneva, IL 60134
Our firm handles family law and personal injury matters for clients in Chicago and throughout the western suburbs including DuPage County, Will County, Kane County, Cook County and the cities of Aurora, Bloomingdale, Bolingbrook, Burr Ridge, Carol Stream, Darien, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Joliet, Kendall County, Lombard, Naperville, Oak Park, Oak Brook, Oakbrook Terrace, Clarendon Hills, Oswego, Park Ridge, Roselle, St. Charles, Geneva, Villa Park, Warrenville, Wheaton, Western Springs, LaGrange, Winfield, Woodridge and Yorkville.

© 2019 Law Office of Martoccio & Martoccio 15 North Lincoln Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521 630-920-8855

OVC Lawyer Marketing

Share Your Experience